Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rainbow Stripes and Everything Nice... that's what Easter is made of...

Hoppy Easter EveryBunny!

We were invited to the neighbors for Easter Dinner, so what did I  bring... dessert and wine... what we do best!!! I have been waiting to make this dessert for quite some time. I saw a pic online for a rainbow cake (seriously, google image "Rainbow Cake" you will be inspired) and I thought it would translate nicely to a pastel striped Easter cake. So we gave it a shot!

The recipe is pretty simple if you don't mind boxed ingredients. I would like to consider myself "semi-homemade", but in all honesty, I am probably box-meets-Martha-Stewart. So start with 2 boxes of white cake. I chose French Vanilla, just so it had a more sophisticated taste. And then you will need food coloring.

After preparing the cake mix as instructed, I separated the mix into 6 bowls... about a 1cup and 1/4 a piece.
(would you like some porridge????)

Here is where Olivia had lots of fun




The rainbow is starting to take shape...

After baking each color individually, about 12min each, I let them cool and then started icing. I layered cake and white icing one by one, following the colors of the rainbow.

I needed to make sure each rainbow stripe would be the same in width, so I used this. If you don't have one, get one. It will change your life. (or at least your baking.) This is THE best way to ensure a level cake before icing.




 After the layering, it gets a coat of plain white icing all the way around. It looks so plain and boring...

But the inside is pure heaven...


Now I will warn you, this cake takes a ridiculous amount of icing! Thank goodness I had 2 extras tubs of white icing, or we would have been in trouble. If you are planning on making this, I would recommend 2 boxes of cake mix and 4 tubs of icing to be safe!!!


I also made some fun Easter cupcakes courtesy of the Food Network with the left over cake batter



Overall, I was quite pleased.


as were the kids...


oh, and did I mention I got some pretty white tulips???

I heart Spring!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment